Saturday, June 14, 2008

Good Good Good....good vibrations

Today we headed out for the official first of many pool days of the summer. Up until now the weather has been...well, freaky. Hot one day, snowing the next kind of freaky. But it finally looks as though summer is here. Floyd was into it. Note how cool and calm he looks. He la-oved the pool. I would have stayed in longer were it not for the sun, being so hot and all. Some of my greatest memories are of time spent at Grandpa Z's pool with my best friend Jeffrey Rasmussen -aka Monkey -see linked blogs. We would ride our dirt bikes down the hill to swim, make forts out of the deck chairs, and eat frozen snickers bars my Gramps always had stock piled. Then when we were finished we would slowly ride our bikes up the big hill, hoping that one of our neighbors would give us a lift.
Floyd seems to love the water thus far. He was able to float on his back with me supporting his head, and put his face in the water without too much drama. Learning to swim is a major milestone of childhood. It only takes one bad experience to spoil it for years.  Any suggestions from those who have gone before me in the "teaching kids to swim" game?

9 comments:

Leslie said...

Yes, wait until he is 3.

What a freaking cute little guy.

Grant said...

What a styling dude! Exposure to the water is the best thing. Grace has always loved the water and can swim very good for a four year old. I really like the full body speedo suits with the foam in them. The arm floats give teach dog paddling.

MZB said...

I was signed in under G-man

Mistie said...

Uh, is that a tankini? Becca and I want to take the little ones to a class that teaches them to roll over in the water and float on their backs. I will try to find the you tube video Becca sent me, it's awesome.

stephgardner said...

So cute! I'm amazed he didn't yank the glasses off the moment you put them over his eyes!

steph said...

What a cool dude! Robin was right...Floyd is absolutely adorable! Love the boobs onesie too!!!

Rasmussens said...

Man, I still love a cold snickers! Those were the days! I have so many good memories of swimming and playing down at Grandpa Z's. How about the old white pick-up cruising that thing up and down Westwood Dr. I thought old Mona Walters was going to kill over ever time she saw us driving past her house. That was excellent! Looks like you are having fun with the Floydster. He's really a cute little guy. Good to see you doing so well!

Grant said...

Good Good good vibrations

JDM said...

Love it. He looks so dang cute. Matt and I just took our little guys swimming and we just held them and let them kick like mad as we would pull them all over and we let them float and just held them up. They seemed to like it and ever since bath time has been so wild. They just kick an play like crazy.