Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Early Morning Phone Calls......

I have found that it is never a good thing when the phone rings early in the morning. This last Saturday was no exception. My sister called to tell me that my grandpa had died during the night. My Grandpa was 84 years old, and a wonderful man. These last few days the whole family gathered to share memories and the many one-liners my grandpa had for every occasion. My favorite was "If I was feeling any better, I would have to take something for it." 

I spent almost everyday in the summertime at my Grandpa's house. We would swim and run in and out of the house for frozen snickers bars and coke.  He would take us out to his shop and build us boats to float in the pool. 

Grandpa always had a smile on his face. I never saw him angry. Every time I saw him he would share the same stories again and again about how much our grandma loved us, and about how Grandma never hated anyone except for Mr MacGregor because he was so mean to Peter Rabbit. 

I remember christmas at grandpa, he  would nail the tree to the floor so it would not fall over. I loved watching him make a fire. He loved to sit in his yellow leather chair and watch all of us in the swimming pool.

My dad gave a life sketch for my grandpa during the funeral, and his closing will stay with me forever..."dad, it seems like I never said I love you near enough." 



Floydster and Margot up to no good.

6 comments:

The Clark said...

That story about Mr. MacGregor might be the cutest thing I've ever heard. What a guy. I loved learning more about him this weekend. Truly a man we should all strive to be more like. As Magan said, let's tighten our laces and get to work.

AlishaAdesign said...

Lauren sorry to hear about your Grandpa! Always hard when you lose someone so close to you. I fear the day I hear the same thing about my Grandpa! My thoughts are with you!

Jen said...

What a wonderful tribute to your Grandpa. I'm so sorry for your loss.

stephgardner said...

I'm sorry to hear about your Grandpa. By the way you look beautiful in (I'm assuming) your wedding dress.

heidi nielsen said...

I'm beginning to wonder if grumpy Keith and cheery Charles are really brothers.

Spillane Creative said...

I have very fond memories of your grandpa (uncle Charles) and every four of july spend at his house and in the pool. Take care and I am so sorry for your loss.